Thursday, September 08, 2005

Here's a website I like a lot!

http://www.mineralarts.com/
http://www.mineralarts.com/cactus/AZRareCacti.html
http://www.mineralarts.com/cactus/saguaro.html
Here's a poem about the Saguaros and their world.


SAGUARO SKELETON DREAM Copyright © 2001 by Lorena B. Moore
In the black volcanic mountains I came to a saguaro's grave. Resigned to pain and rot, it may have fallen with a heavy gasp, swollen with winter rain. Or maybe the black slime illness carried off the flesh, Leaving the creaking skeleton to shatter in a monsoon stormwind. The fallen one has as much presence on the ground as it had in the now-empty air, The arms once upraised to the sun in trance or prayer Now embracing the ground with equal reverence.
I will stretch out on the ghostwood poles, Fit my hands to the arm ribs, rest my feet on the rootknobs. Bright heat will settle on my back like a sheet of copper. Ravens will not know my hair from the haze of cobwebbed spines. Huge rainmaker beetles will drop out of thunderclouds and shelter under my fingers. My vertebrae will collapse among snakeskins and silver cactus bones, Just before the floodwater carries it all down the wash in an ecstatic torrent of sand.
We will rise as hornpods and hummingbirds. Our spiritwalk will follow Jaguarundi's tracks. We will dance with gray hawks and red dragonflies. Our songs will ripen and rattle on the wild gourd vine. Coyote will sing them when he calls the ocotillo flowers Out of the illusion of death.

1 Comments:

Blogger Three Score and Ten or more said...

Lovely piece. I enjoyed it (and I don't sell toy trains)

8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home